The First Time I Went Rock Climbing

It all started when I was with my aunt and my sister Aly.  We all started packing our food and water in our bags.  After packing we jumped in the car, and were off.  Me and Aly had no clue what we were just getting ready for, because it was a surprise.

Then after talking about school in the car I looked out of the window and saw that we were at a ROCK CLIMBING PLACE!  Me and Aly have never been rock climbing before.  “Why is it so small?” I asked, because it looked so tiny for a rock climbing place.  Right after I said that we walked into the building and it was REALLY big.  We walked to a big desk with a lady behind it.

“Hi, how many?” said the lady behind the desk.

“Four, two kids and two adults,” I got confused when she said that because it was just me and Aly and my Aunt so I looked around, and my uncle was coming in through the door!  I got really excited.  “Here are your shoes for climbing and you strap.” I put on my shoes and they were really tight.  I got help for putting my strap on because I never wore one.

“Somebody will tour us around and you’ll learn every thing.” said my Aunt.  After 12 minutes the tour was over.  I asked me Aunt “Can we please have a food break because i’m hungry?”

“Okay.”  She turned to Aly and asked, “Aly are you hungry? Because Lily is,” then Aly nodded.  We found a table and ate our food.  I had carrots, apple sauce, and a peanut butter sandwich, “I’m done! what about you guys?”

“I’m done,” said Aly and my Aunt.  We went to a very small rock climbing course for beginners, like me and my sister.  They were color coded from easy to very hard and I started on easy.  After a little while I realized it was to easy, so I went to a different spot that was not so easy and I’m guessing it was medium easy.  I went through all of them and thought I was ready for the ones where you use a hook so you don’t fall off and DIE! We left the color coded area and I went to a big wall where my aunt was going to show us how to be safe climbing.  She went all the way to the top and BOOM she was stuck!

My uncle was holding her rope and it got tangled.  She had to wait a few minutes so my uncle could untangle the rope.  2 minutes later she was able to get down safely.  I got scared and she could tell so she said, “I felt very safe up there because its happened so many times before and no one ever gets stuck for 1 hour or hurt or anything bad.  So now its your turn and I won’t let you get hurt.”

“Ok,” I said.  We headed to a small area where it should be safe and easy for me.  The first time I did it I got scared, but the rest of the time I felt safe and had the time of my life.

“Can I go alone?” asked Aly.

“Go ahead.  Lily you can go alone to, meet me somewhere in a hour or I can meet you.” Then me and Aly ran to our favorite spot that we went to with our aunt and uncle. I went to a part that had a lot of little hand holds.  It was for beginners, but it was fun and easy.

I felt the air blow my hair off my back when I was running.  It was nice to be free and run, not using those hand holds and not dipping my hands in chalk over and over again until I jumped off the wall.

“Can you get her off?” said a staff from no where.  I looked every where.  There was no one there, so I almost hooked my self in and climbed, but, the voice came back “Please.” “Oh I’m behind this door” she must have saw that I was confused then I unhooked my self and went to where I heard her voice.

I found a spot that looked like a small door.  It had the same look as the other climbing parts and had hand holds on it, so I looked up.  There was a small girl climbing I told her, “Hi there’s an employee who needs to get through and wants to know if you could get off,” she said she could get off and when she did the employee came out of the door.  CREAK, the door opened and she said “Thank you.”  She was a staff so it made sense when I saw a ONLY STAFF paper glued to the floor.  When I heard that noise I should have seen that paper.  I just nodded at her and went back to my spot I was going to climb on.

I climbed maybe for a hour and then my aunt came.  “Lily its time to go back to the house.”

“Okay.”  I was not ready to leave.  It was soooooo fun.  I will never forget this day no matter what and now I will try going rock climbing more and take my parents out rock climbing.

One thought on “The First Time I Went Rock Climbing”

1. Rock climbing is something that I’ve always been curious about. It looks so intimidating though. It sounds like you had a great time though. You’ve definitely made me think about trying a rock climbing gym!